Proofreading is the quality check of written material in its final layout before publication. I will carry out a thorough review of your text and will (if applicable):
- correct grammar, spelling and punctuation
- check consistency of style, eg names, -ise or -ize spelling, capitals
- check consistency of layout, eg headings, line spacing, paragraphs
- check chapter headings and page numbers against table of contents
- check position of tables and illustrations and that captions match the text
- check cross-references
- query repetitive, contradictory, ambiguous or unclear text
- flag anything that requires further action.
I am able to proofread on paper using BSI proof-correction marks, and on screen using Track Changes in Word or Adobe Acrobat Reader DC for PDFs.
Further information about proofreading can be found in frequently asked questions on the CIEP website.