I, Tania Charles, am a registered sole trader operating as Tania Charles | Proofreader. I offer proofreading services to individuals, organisations and publishers.
Why do I collect data from you?
I collect certain information to enable me to:
- respond to your requests for information (e.g. provide quotes)
- contact you during the course of my editorial work
- fulfil my obligations to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), the UK tax authority.
What information do I collect from you?
I collect the following information:
- email address
- postal address
- phone number
- information regarding your project (e.g. title, word count, a representative sample of your work)
- project files.
How do I collect personal data?
I use the following data collection methods:
- contact form on this website (WordPress)
- email (Microsoft Outlook).
How do I use the data I collect?
I use the data I gather to:
- respond to your enquiries, questions, or requests for quotes
- fulfil my obligations to HMRC.
I will never use this information for marketing or promotional purposes (e.g. publish your testimonial on my website), unless I have obtained your permission in writing to do so.
How do I store your personal data?
The data I collect is stored in the following ways:
- Laptop. This is password-protected and has anti-virus software and firewall.
- Email account (Microsoft Outlook). This is password protected, and emails are sent via encrypted Microsoft Exchange. You can read Microsoft’s privacy statement here.
With whom do I share your data?
I will not share your personal data with third parties without your written consent, unless it needs to be disclosed to HMRC for tax audit purposes.
How long do I keep your data for?
To comply with HMRC’s recording keeping requirements, I am obliged to keep records (e.g. invoices) for five years after the 31 January submission deadline of the relevant tax year. You can read more about this here.
Your project information (e.g. emails) will be kept for one year after the end of the project, in case of queries; however, you may request that I delete your data as soon as your project is completed.
How can you contact me about your data?
You have the right to contact me and request I remove your personal information from my systems. If you would like me to modify or delete your data from my records, you do not have to tell me why. You just need to send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will act on your request within the UK GDPR’s stipulated timescale.