These terms & conditions apply to any work done for the Client by the Freelancer (Tania Charles).
- The Client is under no obligation to offer the Freelancer work; neither is the Freelancer under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- The Freelancer will provide service(s) as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by the Client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by the Freelancer, using her own equipment.
- The Freelancer does not subcontract work.
- The Freelancer confirms that she is self-employed, is responsible for her own income tax and National Insurance contributions and will not claim benefits granted to the Client’s employees.
- The Freelancer confirms that she is not VAT registered.
- The Client will reimburse the Freelancer for agreed reasonable expenses over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial work.
- The Client will pay the Freelancer a fee per 1,000 words OR per hour OR an agreed flat fee for the job.
- The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
- If, however, on receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, the Freelancer may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- Similarly, if, during the term of the Freelancer’s work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, the Freelancer may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- If the project is lengthy, the Freelancer may invoice periodically for completed stages.
- Any content created by the Freelancer as part of the proofreading process will become the copyright of the Client, unless agreed otherwise.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
- If the Freelancer’s work does not meet the standards outlined in the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading’s Code of Practice, the Freelancer will rectify it in her own time and at her own expense.
- The Freelancer cannot accept responsibility or be held liable for errors and consequential losses or costs incurred as a result of any errors in relation to the Client’s work, whether direct, indirect or otherwise.
- The Client is responsible for checking and approving the work returned by the Freelancer.
- Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, payment will be made within 30 days of receipt of the Freelancer’s invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
- Payment is accepted by bank transfer in British pounds.
- Either the Client or the Freelancer has the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- If the Freelancer has made a substantial contribution to the proofreading of the work, she will be entitled to receive one free copy of the work.
- The Freelancer may use the Client’s name and testimonial in her promotional material, unless agreed otherwise.
- There is no need for the Client to acknowledge the Freelancer in their work. However, if the Client wishes to do so, written permission should be obtained from the Freelancer first.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both Freelancer and Client agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.
Signed by the Freelancer:
Signed by or on behalf of the Client: